September 21, 2009

Why So Contrary?

So after a considerable hiatus I've dusted off the blog.  I've imported most of the old posts here. It seemed a good idea at the time, but maybe I'm just furthering Google's takeover of all digital information in the world.  Who can say?

The last year has been interesting to say the least.  New job, new city, new baby, and along with it all a new year, a new president, and some new outlooks on life.  Living back in Dallas has reminded me of a lot of things I don't particularly like: consumerism, selfishness, insincerity of faith, disdain for honest thought or debate.  That's not to say I'm above those things.  In fact, what I think bugs me about them is that I see them in myself quite readily, either lurking at various depths beneath the surface, or bobbing merrily along on the waves and soaking up the sun.  But being back here has also made me very aware of something else.  I'm not sure I play well with others.  In Connecticut I rolled my eyes at all the liberal elitism and self-righteous political leanings.  Now that we're back in Dallas I can't stomach what seems like conservative greed, lack of concern for others, and self-righteous political leanings.  No matter where we go I think I'll be going against the dominant culture.

It's not helped by the fact that we live in a society where the majority opinion has little incentive to pay any attention whatsoever to the minority opinion.  Chances are that's just who I am; it could be that I just like to stir up trouble.  I probably should have been a lawyer after all.  (But I am rather fond of the fact that my dad speaks to me, and I can't guarantee that would be the case had professional arguer been my career choice.)  So while it normally seems to apply to contrary financial investment strategies, The Contrarian seems an appropriate enough title for this thing.  I'll try to periodically update with what's bouncing around in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment